10 things you didn't know about... £1
With the brand new 12-sided £1 launching across the country today, I thought i'd share 10 things that you didn't know about the £1 coin:
1) The £1 was first introduced 34 years ago, in 1983.
2) Today, £1 is worth a third of what it did in 1983, with the relative purchasing power of 32p nowadays.
3) In the past, there have been 25 different designs of £1 coins, featuring anything from trees to dragons!
4) It is thought that there is £1.3 billion worth of old £1 coins lying around peoples homes in the UK. You have until 15th October before they are no longer legal tender.
5) The Royal Mint suggests that there are over 30 million fake £1 coins currently in circulation. The new coin will reduce this number significantly.
6) The new £1 coin weighs 8.75g compared to the old coin which is 9.5g in weight.
7) The new £1 coin introduced into circulation today is said to be the most secure in the world with its 12 sides and holographic stamp.
8) The new design includes a rose, a thistle, a leek and a shamrock to represent the four parts of the UK.
9) The Royal Mint is producing 1.5 billion of the new 12 sided £1 coins, with 3 million being minted every day in Wales.
10) If you put all of these new coins side by side, there'd be enough to go from the UK to New Zealand and back!